Are you aware of the psychology behind workplace signage? Let’s find out.
Everybody knows that signage is an effective medium of communication. Every security sign follows a format, and the images used in them are recognizable for everyone. The same basic principle applies to workplace signs, which provide emergency information and ensure safety and security within the workplace.
There are several reasons to invest in safety signs in the workplace, some of which are mentioned below.
- They draw people’s attention to health hazards and safety concerns.
- They serve as directional signs which help newcomers and outsiders navigate easily inside the
- They instruct the employees and tellthem where the protective equipment is kept.
- They also signify the location of emergency equipment.
- They educate the occupants and outsiders about specific actions that are prohibited on-premises.
Basic Signage Options
When it comes to workplace signage, specific standards are followed in the US. These standards are enforced by three governing bodies, namely the US Environmental Protection Agency, the transportation department, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. In an industrial workplace, the following options can be used for signs.
- Metal signs which are permanent and last for several years.
- Collection signs
- Paints and Stencils
- Custom branding systems like digital logos and graphics.
Psychology and workplace signage is a unique topic that isn’t discussed a lot. People who have spent a considerable amount of time in a particular workplace know exactly where everything is kept. However, workplace signs shouldn’t be dependent on the workforce that knows everything. Instead, workplace signs should be informative and should help the people who aren’t familiar with a particular environment. Therefore, the signs that are used for security purposes should be self-explanatory and easy to understand. The text and images used in security signs should be simple and straightforward. This way, everyone will be able to understand them and make use of them.
Security Signs in a Workplace
Regardless of which region you are in, four basic security signs are used everywhere. The signs usually use the following colors:
- Red: It signifies danger. It also highlights anemergency, in which prompt action should be taken. In some cases, red color is also used to signify prohibition of some sort.
- Amber and yellow:These shades are used for warning. It tells that safety must be ensured through precautionary measures.
- Blue: It isused for threats and is used in the area surrounding alarm systems.
- Green:is generally used for escape routes and first aid. However, it doesn’t specify any form of danger.
By now, you must have understood the psychology behind workplace signage. To know more, seek help from a professional sign manufacturing company in San Diego, CA.
Leave a Reply